Tuesday, October 4, 2011

My new anvil stand

I do some blacksmithing from time to time.  Mostly to make custom tools for my other projects, but having a good anvil to beat things on is a much needed item for anyone.  My anvil was originally sitting on some tree trunk sections as seen in many photos, but they started to rot. I didn't like them, so a new base that wouldn't rot was in order.

My materials included

3" angle
galvanized fence post tubing
1/4 steel rod
3" treated post

The angle iron was gifted to me a while back.  The fence post tubing was free as well.  The 1/4 steel rod was from a garden decoration, and the post was leftover from rebuilding our deck.

I stick welded the whole mess together.  Here's the result:


Note:  I have to level the ground still there.



A note to all who are planning to build a base for their anvil:  The face of the anvil should be at knuckle height when your arm hangs down.  Otherwise, you will strain your wrist while forging.  This allows for a full arm stroke of the hammer.

No comments:

Post a Comment