Thursday, October 6, 2011

My Molding Bench

When I get the foundry going, I cast lots of things.  This means I'm making lots of molds.  Making them on the ground is tiresome.  I had been filling my flasks over a large plastic storage bin, but I was still on my knees.

Finding a heavy duty plastic box at a yard sale for $5, I though I could use it.  It would allow me to have more sand and would be closer to my ideal height.  I put it on some blocks to get it up higher.  Now its about waist height.  Good for molds.



I then went and made a wooden frame that sits inside on the tops of the plastic ribbing to support my flasks.

Here is the result.


I have yet to fill it with sand.  Eventually, I will mount my muller right next to it so the fresh sand goes right back into the box.  I may also make a divider for mulled sand on one side and dry sand to be remixed on the other.

No comments:

Post a Comment